ProDeo
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
ProDeo

Computer Chess

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Be less INTP

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Henk

Be less INTP Empty
PostSubject: Be less INTP   Be less INTP EmptySun Nov 29, 2020 4:20 pm

Someone saying in a video. INTP's never listen to advice. They have to find out themselves (through experience) Same would hold for ENTP.

O wait it is the Introverted thinking function that causes it. So maybe ISTP, ESTP as well won't listen to advice.

By the way classifying people is bit like Nazi's did.

What about introverted feeling, introverted sensing etc.

No maybe it is the deadly combination of introverted thinking and introverted sensing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheSelfImprover

TheSelfImprover

Be less INTP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Be less INTP   Be less INTP EmptySun Nov 29, 2020 5:16 pm

The bad news: you CANNOT make all the mistakes yourself: you need to learn from the mistakes of other people.

The good news: sometimes, advice is wrong (or is not given in the recipient's interest), and the people who take the trouble to investigate for themselves will make a breakthrough that wasn't previously available to the advice-takers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Henk

Be less INTP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Be less INTP   Be less INTP EmptySun Dec 13, 2020 3:39 pm

Yesterday it took me few hours to repair flat tyre of my bike.
Same as ever. After each trial still air seaping through. Maybe glue of bad quality.
In the end I had replace the inner tube. Unfortunately elastic underneath broke as well. But fortunately I had a spare one. Was rear tire. So not easy to replace.

Maybe when you have a bad sensing function you can't repair a bike.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Henk

Be less INTP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Be less INTP   Be less INTP EmptySun Dec 13, 2020 3:40 pm

Same as ever. After each trial still air seaping through. Maybe glue of bad quality.
In the end I had to replace the inner tube. Unfortunately elastic underneath broke as well. But fortunately I had a spare one. Was rear tire. So not easy to replace.

I should be lucky I did not get wounded when exchanging the inner tube.
I mean it's easy to wound one or two fingers by a fork bounsing back.

Maybe being stupid as well for outer tube not in a good state so might have a flat tire within a few months. So I should take pre cautions.

I am not going to exchange outer tube myself. For being too dangerous.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheSelfImprover

TheSelfImprover

Be less INTP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Be less INTP   Be less INTP EmptySun Dec 13, 2020 4:00 pm

Henk wrote:
In the end I had replace the inner tube. Unfortunately elastic underneath broke as well. But fortunately I had a spare one. Was rear tire. So not easy to replace.

For the people who don't/won't listen to others: doing things that are widely known is not going to be a strength: your strength will lie in finding a new direction for something. Here, people who listen well, and who have general competencies, will be at a disadvantage: nobody will be able to tell them how to do what you're doing.

You'll have a better life if you play to your strengths.

The human brain is like a gold mine - and you own one! But a gold mine has to be worked at, and this means dedicating an hour a day to generating ideas. Like any other skill, it gets better with practice and as you master the tools (mind map, pen and paper, or whatever tools you choose).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Henk

Be less INTP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Be less INTP   Be less INTP EmptySun Dec 13, 2020 5:30 pm

Maybe activating Ni only works  for ISTP/ISFP although its only your third and a weak function.
Intp's don't have Ni conscious. Using it positively will be very troublesome or maybe impossible for it's severely repressed by Ne. While  Ne is negative too for INTP.
For who likes to listen to their parent function.

By the way there is nothing to map if knowledge is missing. See can only use childish third Si function which ISTP does not have conscious.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheSelfImprover

TheSelfImprover

Be less INTP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Be less INTP   Be less INTP EmptySun Dec 13, 2020 10:48 pm

Henk wrote:
Maybe activating Ni only works  for ISTP/ISFP although its only your third and a weak function.
Intp's don't have Ni conscious. Using it positively will be very troublesome or maybe impossible for it's severely repressed by Ne. While  Ne is negative too for INTP.
For who likes to listen to their parent function.

By the way there is nothing to map if knowledge is missing. See can only use childish third Si function which ISTP does not have conscious.  

I'll warn you upfront that this is a negative and discouraging post - but it's best that you hear what I'm going to say: you are displaying the curse of knowledge (link).

My suggestions:

1. have a image handy of the four Myers-Briggs personality dimensions and include it in every one of your posts on the subject

2. When you use abbreviations like Ni/Ne etc, always put in brackets afterwards the two scales to which you refer.

Okay - now let's make something positive out of this. You're obviously:

1. enthusiastic about Myers Briggs

2. a good programmer

There's a lot you can do with this that other Myers Briggs websites don't do. Here's a website you could do for troubled marriages or business partnerships for example:

1. each partner does a simple four question test to determine their four letter personality type (if it's not quick and easy, they won't do it)

2. the website provides

a. a list of difficulties and likely misunderstandings the pair are likely to have

b. for each partner, how they should amend their communication style to effectively communicate with the other partner

btw, I've asked you to spend an hour a day thinking (using a thinking tool) about what you'd like to do. I'm now going to enhance that: once you've come up with something you're willing to have a go at, you should STILL routinely do the hour a day - but the focus of it changes: it now becomes how to IMPROVE what you're doing. If you commit to this plan and stick to it, you're likely to become successful IMO.  Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Henk

Be less INTP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Be less INTP   Be less INTP EmptyMon Dec 14, 2020 9:53 am

Changing personality makes no sense. Unless you have to play in a movie. Can't change brain structure.

By the way how would you think your life would be when 34/35 were autistic. And you were the one not autistic.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheSelfImprover

TheSelfImprover

Be less INTP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Be less INTP   Be less INTP EmptyMon Dec 14, 2020 10:23 am

Henk wrote:
Changing personality makes no sense. Unless you have to play in a movie.  Can't change brain structure.

The brain structure changes every day. Makes sense to guide it in the direction you want rather than the direction that others push it in.

Quote :
By the way how would you think your life would be when 34/35 were autistic. And you were the  one not autistic.

The one who was different would have some advantages to exploit and, therefore, some opportunities that wouldn't be available to the majority.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Henk

Be less INTP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Be less INTP   Be less INTP EmptyMon Dec 14, 2020 10:45 am

TheSelfImprover wrote:
Henk wrote:
Changing personality makes no sense. Unless you have to play in a movie.  Can't change brain structure.

The brain structure changes every day. Makes sense to guide it in the direction you want rather than the direction that others push it in.

Quote :
By the way how would you think your life would be when 34/35 were autistic. And you were the  one not autistic.

The one who was different would have some advantages to exploit and, therefore, some opportunities that wouldn't be available to the majority.

1) Might be brain changes every day, main structure does hardly change. Personality is about main brain structure. For an ISTP you may transfer into ISFP but might that be better. Or INTP into INFP. Makes no difference. Waste of time.

2) Who would win when voting in a 34/35 group.

By the way your posts are not really ISTP-ish. Goal driven and progress is more I__J or E__J. Or these posts are from your shadow (ESTJ). ISTP is mechanic. Building repairing machines. INTP is philosopher/mathematician at it's best
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheSelfImprover

TheSelfImprover

Be less INTP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Be less INTP   Be less INTP EmptyMon Dec 14, 2020 12:17 pm

Quote :
1) Might be brain changes every day, main structure does hardly change. Personality is about main brain structure. For an ISTP you may transfer into ISFP but might that be better. Or INTP into INFP. Makes no difference. Waste of time.

2) Who would win when voting in a 34/35 group.

By the way your posts are not really ISTP-ish. Goal driven and progress is more I__J or E__J. Or these posts are from your shadow (ESTJ). ISTP is mechanic. Building repairing machines. INTP is philosopher/mathematician at it's best

Voting: in a democracy, nobody gets their way. Where that statement is not true, it's likely that the system is actually an oligarchy presenting as democracy. So in a good democracy, everyone thinks that the government is doing a lot of things wrongly.

Of course, whatever the system of government, there are disadvantages to being a minority: left handed people find it more difficult and expensive to get products that suit them for example. This is understandable: the majority will usually be served before the minority.

However, there's a golden rule we should all live by: you must adapt to the world, because the world is not going to adapt to you.

Now onto Myers Briggs classifications: they don't really work for me because I am borderline on most, if not all, of the four dimensions. I tried to categorise myself by looking instead at the descriptions of the people in the various categories, and then I noticed a serious issue: these descriptions are all Barnum statements (link)!

I've just done a bit more web searching, and I've discovered that, unfortunately, the whole Myers Briggs system actually has a lot less value than has been attributed to it over the decades (link).

Given that this is almost certainly true, what should we do instead to improve ourselves? I offer three starter improvements which will be helpful to most people IMO:

1. become more moral (basically, treat other people the way you'd like them to treat you)

2. Become more action oriented: people who act are more likely to be happy and healthy than people who ponder and end up not taking action a lot of the time

3. Become somebody who uses time well. The key here is that there can be a "good" way to spend your time, but if there's a "better" one, then it's the better one you should be doing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Henk

Be less INTP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Be less INTP   Be less INTP EmptyMon Dec 14, 2020 12:38 pm

More moral = Fe (treat others)
More action = Se
Efficient = Te

When doing that ISTP would transfer into ESTP or  ESTJ. I would not recommend transferring into ESTJ  then ISTP is his shadow. May happens when ISTP is in a stress mode.  So don't be more efficient.

Maybe ESTP is possible for ISTP. Then you should take more risks and action and improve on ethics.

ISTP may be a  scientist.

Last edited by Henk on Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:19 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheSelfImprover

TheSelfImprover

Be less INTP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Be less INTP   Be less INTP EmptyMon Dec 14, 2020 1:49 pm

Quote :
More moral = Fe (treat others)
More action = Se
Efficient = Te

If you do that you transfer from ISTP into ESTP or ISFJ  or ESTJ. I would not recommend ESTJ or ISFJ for an ISTP then you get really stressed.  

Maybe ESTP is possible for you. Then you should take more risks and action. Although can be dangerous.
ISFP takes too long for an ISTP to get there and then you are really old.

I am borderline on most, if not all, the dimensions, so changing categories would be no problem at all for me, either in terms of time or stress.

You want a new job/career/opportunity, but changing what you do will inevitably be a source of stress. My suggestion of generating an opportunity for yourself will create more stress in the short term, but in the long term, you'll be the boss, and you'll b doing something you enjoy! This would, IMO make the short term stress worthwhile.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Henk

Be less INTP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Be less INTP   Be less INTP EmptyMon Dec 14, 2020 4:16 pm

If you are an ESTJ then you are a 'more action' hypocrite and Te already first class while Fe could be improved.

INTP are Ni or motivation hypocrites.

It's easy if you have low(est) kinesthetic intelligence (clumsy)  then you are infp or intp. For they live in their head most of the time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheSelfImprover

TheSelfImprover

Be less INTP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Be less INTP   Be less INTP EmptyMon Dec 14, 2020 4:44 pm

Would you be interested in putting together a website to manage all this information and make it super-easy to get as much information about oneself (and one's relationship with one's partners) as anybody could ever want using the Myers Briggs model?

It's certainly something you're both keenly interested in and very capable of doing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Henk

Be less INTP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Be less INTP   Be less INTP EmptyMon Dec 14, 2020 5:29 pm

Might be an idea. But I'm adding nothing new. Only echo-ing what I read from others.
Also pseudo-science.

Enough of this already exists.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheSelfImprover

TheSelfImprover

Be less INTP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Be less INTP   Be less INTP EmptyMon Dec 14, 2020 5:54 pm

Henk wrote:
Might be an idea. But I'm adding nothing new. Only echo-ing what I read from others.
Also pseudo-science.

Enough of this already exists.

The thing you'd be able to do that most others have not is to make it super easy for people to dive in as deep as they would like.

I would add another issue, though: it's not obvious how you'd make enough income to live from doing this. You'd need quite a few subscribers, or to get such a good reputation that you would be fully booked as a consultant in your own right.

This brings us back to the "time usage" question: if you love investigating Myers Briggs, then it's a "good" thing for you to do, but if there's something "even better" for you to do, then you should be doing that!

Let's go after the "even better"!  Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Henk

Be less INTP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Be less INTP   Be less INTP EmptyMon Dec 14, 2020 8:00 pm

Yes best is to quit all hobbies. No time and giving no money.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Henk

Be less INTP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Be less INTP   Be less INTP EmptySat Dec 19, 2020 2:11 pm

If your dominant function is Ti then watch out out for the dominant Fi when you want to improve on Fi.

Easy to generalize this. Holds for other functions too.

For instance when you show your best chess game to a grandmaster not much will be left over from your great game.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheSelfImprover

TheSelfImprover

Be less INTP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Be less INTP   Be less INTP EmptySat Dec 19, 2020 3:58 pm

Henk wrote:
If your dominant function is Ti then watch out out for the dominant Fi when you want to improve on Fi.

Easy to generalize this. Holds for other functions too.

For instance when you show your best chess game to a grandmaster not much will be left over from your great game.  

Marketing experts (e.g. Ries and Trout) say that if you can't challenge the brand leaders in a market category, you should create a new category. This handily explains why there are thousands of different types of music, for example. Glenn Miller, a popular big band leader during WWII, famously obsessed about creating a unique sound that would be immediately recognisable as his.

Would you be interested in creating a new type of personality test? It's been a while since Katherine Briggs and Isabel Myers created MBTI:

Be less INTP 255px-Art-mb2-300x0

It's time somebody came up with something better - especially in a world in which everyone has access to computing devices.

Here's a nice twist: after completing the test, you're immediately put on a programme which:

1. You're willing to do

2. Will get you going in a direction you'd like to go on

3. Goes at a pace you can manage

4. Measures your progress based on actual behaviour changes

5. Have the system's results independently audited. How many improvement programmes do you know which do that???
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Henk

Be less INTP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Be less INTP   Be less INTP EmptySat Dec 19, 2020 6:08 pm

If my low score on RAT (Remote associate test) test proofs I am not an N(intuitive) type then only possibility is ISTJ. A chaotic (or perfectionistic) ISTJ hating administration. In that case problem solved of being less INTP.

Like rewriting chess engine code. Giving enough opportunities to spend or waste your time on.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheSelfImprover

TheSelfImprover

Be less INTP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Be less INTP   Be less INTP EmptySat Dec 19, 2020 10:08 pm

Henk wrote:
If my low score on RAT (Remote associate test) test proofs I am not an N(intuitive) type then only possibility is ISTJ. A chaotic (or perfectionistic) ISTJ hating administration.  In that case problem solved of being less INTP.

Like rewriting chess engine code.  Giving  enough opportunities to spend or waste your time on.  

Why do you rewrite chess engine code?

I suspect the answer is that you started, and then just carried on without giving too much thought to the matter. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Henk

Be less INTP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Be less INTP   Be less INTP EmptySat Dec 19, 2020 11:19 pm

Sometimes people want to see source code. If code is not in good state they reject your application (for a job).

But looks like rewrite is too much work or worse it does not improve. Don't know.

By the way these people usually are more interested in databases and sql queries. I don't like adminstration. But  for the money ..

So maybe I should write good code for storing chess games in databases or something. Not much fun.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheSelfImprover

TheSelfImprover

Be less INTP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Be less INTP   Be less INTP EmptySun Dec 20, 2020 12:31 am

I have a particular opinion about software code that I try to live by: in business, the most important thing is maintainability. It annoys me that others don't seem to share that opinion. Every day, I see:

* obfuscated code

* code that should very obviously be a shared method written in a way that is only usable for a single situation

etc.

I use long variable names for maximum meaning, and I don't like having too many statements built into a single line: it makes it more difficult to debug/maintain. I use CTEs to simplify complex SQL statements, making them easy to read. It annoys me that my colleagues choose to write absolutely unreadable SQL statements.

Business software has to access databases. My rule here is that statements that don't access a database are "free" (take almost no time), whereas statements which do access data are expensive (it's like comparing data you can remember in your head with data you have to go to a filing cabinet in another office to fetch). So I try to access the database as little as possible. Every day, I'm seeing code where the same data is fetched from the database over and over again - and often in a data transaction (roughly speaking: multiple accesses to the database while locking some tables in the database so that other processes cannot update those tables until the transaction is complete).

Unfortunately, the methodology of the man with overall responsibility for code at my company has a methodology that has no name, but I call it, "head down and charge": just get as much code out the door as possible, as long as it does the job. I once had an opportunity to rewrite one of his methods, and delighted in throwing out his snake pit of services calling services, and replacing it with half a page of crystal clear code that would be easy to maintain, but never needs to because it never breaks. I don't get to do this often enough.

I don't like my company's software, and I find myself more and more wanting to be the owner of the software I work on, so that I can work with clear, reliable software, without the mountain of technical debt.

Obviously, a program that builds a game tree needs to be blazing fast: the important thing becomes to make the tree as quickly as possible.

Anyway, back to personality: this lady says that there are 14 distinct social skills, and most people are very good at 2 or 3 of them. The social skills are as follows:

* linchpin
* conversationalist
* comedian
* speaker
* influencer
* listener
* magnet
* storyteller
* nurturer
* decoder
* leader
* connector
* dream builder
* chameleon

From those, I am exceptionally strong in the categories of listener, decoder and chameleon. I also think I am strongish in speaker, nurturer and dream builder.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Henk

Be less INTP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Be less INTP   Be less INTP EmptySun Dec 20, 2020 6:27 pm

Alternative is Big 5 test. But .. boring.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

Be less INTP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Be less INTP   Be less INTP Empty

Back to top Go down

Be less INTP
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
ProDeo :: Everything else-
Jump to: