ProDeo
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
ProDeo

Computer Chess

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Ed’s internet access is down

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Chris Whittington

Ed’s internet access is down Empty
PostSubject: Ed’s internet access is down   Ed’s internet access is down EmptySun Sep 11, 2022 10:25 am

To anyone wondering where Ed is, the internet in his local area has been down and isn’t expected to be restored until the end of this week.

Dio likes this post

Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Ed’s internet access is down   Ed’s internet access is down EmptySun Sep 11, 2022 8:13 pm

Thanks Chris.

I currently have limited internet access. Tuesday night the neighbourhood was hit by a lightening together with an instant gigantic boom (long live climate change), it caused a massive damage in the electronic devices of people. 4 devices of mine were destroyed among them my modem and one of my PC's, the most important one.

The repair shop reported that the mainboard, power supply had burning signs, the memory no longer could be trusted and so I will have to wait till the new ordered PC is ready and I will have full access again.

Back to top Go down
http://rebel13.nl/
mwyoung

mwyoung

PostSubject: Re: Ed’s internet access is down   Ed’s internet access is down EmptySun Sep 11, 2022 9:01 pm

Admin wrote:
Thanks Chris.

I currently have limited internet access. Tuesday night the neighbourhood was hit by a lightening together with an instant gigantic boom (long live climate change), it caused a massive damage in the electronic devices of people. 4 devices of mine were destroyed among them my modem and one of my PC's, the most important one.

The repair shop reported that the mainboard, power supply had burning signs, the memory no longer could be trusted and so I will have to wait till the new ordered PC is ready and I will have full access again.

Did you have a surge protector on your PC? But if the strike is close enough. It will not stop the EMP effect.
Back to top Go down
Eelco

Eelco

PostSubject: Re: Ed’s internet access is down   Ed’s internet access is down EmptyMon Sep 12, 2022 1:39 am

mwyoung wrote:
Admin wrote:
Thanks Chris.

Did you have a surge protector on your PC? But if the strike is close enough. It will not stop the EMP effect.

I think this, lightning strike destroying computers, is very rare. Power outages are rare enough here in this country that I don't think many people have surge protection here, or UPS, I suppose datacenters have them but individuals not so many. Brownouts are more common in the US I believe and then it makes more sense. Although a surge protector may not be very expensive? Stability on the power grid becomes more of an issue with more demand for electricity in general, and surplus solar power increasingly added back to the net and Enexis etc. having to invest in much more capacity.
Back to top Go down
mwyoung

mwyoung

PostSubject: Re: Ed’s internet access is down   Ed’s internet access is down EmptyMon Sep 12, 2022 1:43 am

Eelco wrote:
mwyoung wrote:
Admin wrote:
Thanks Chris.

I think this, lightning strike destroying computers, is very rare. Power outages are  rare enough here in this country that I don't think many people have surge protection here, or UPS, I suppose datacenters have them but individuals not so many. Brownouts are more common in the US I believe and then it makes more sense. Although a surge protector may not be very expensive? Stability on the power grid becomes more of an issue with more demand for electricity in general, and surplus solar power increasingly added back to the net and Enexis etc. having to invest in much more capacity.

It is very common here in the Midwest USA. We have even piece of Electronics on serge protectors.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ed’s internet access is down   Ed’s internet access is down Empty

Back to top Go down

Ed’s internet access is down
Page 1 of 1