ProDeo
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
ProDeo

Computer Chess

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Input request for upcoming poll

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Input request for upcoming poll Empty
PostSubject: Input request for upcoming poll   Input request for upcoming poll EmptyWed Dec 02, 2020 7:46 pm

https://prodeo.actieforum.com/t104-the-nnue-split-programmers-are-in

What would be the right questions for a poll on this issue?

[*] Edit - the forum poll software supports multiple choice.
Back to top Go down
http://rebel13.nl/
TheSelfImprover

TheSelfImprover

PostSubject: Re: Input request for upcoming poll   Input request for upcoming poll EmptyThu Dec 03, 2020 12:28 am

How about...

Overall, are the Stockfish development team making a positive contribution to computer chess?
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Input request for upcoming poll   Input request for upcoming poll EmptyThu Dec 03, 2020 10:39 am

TheSelfImprover wrote:
How about...

Overall, are the Stockfish development team making a positive contribution to computer chess?

It's gigantic, it's an inspiration for many programmers to get ideas, without Stockfish there wouldn't be so many new 3000+ engines, but that it isn't addressing the topic at hand. A poll question could be:

Should the rating list (CEGT, CCRL and others) test any new versions with NNUE technology.
. Yes
. No, only those with self made neural nets.
Back to top Go down
matejst

matejst

PostSubject: Re: Input request for upcoming poll   Input request for upcoming poll EmptyThu Dec 03, 2020 4:18 pm

In general, I do not think SF made a positive contribution to computerchess.

The ultra fast testing procedures, the level of pruning were contributions of V. Rajlich, and himself was inspired by Fabien Letouzey.

The tuning procedures were a contribution of several authors, among these  Peter Österlund, Thomas Petzke, etc. I am sure there are many others.

The use of neural nets are an idea of Matthew Lai, implemented thereafter by Youri Matiounine and Jonathan Rosenthal.

Basically, although I am sure programmers know it much better, I do not see what could be revolutionary in SF.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Input request for upcoming poll   Input request for upcoming poll EmptyFri Dec 04, 2020 8:07 am

matejst wrote:
In general, I do not think SF made a positive contribution to computerchess.

The ultra fast testing procedures, the level of pruning were contributions of V. Rajlich, and himself was inspired by Fabien Letouzey.

The tuning procedures were a contribution of several authors, among these  Peter Österlund, Thomas Petzke, etc. I am sure there are many others.

The use of neural nets are an idea of Matthew Lai, implemented thereafter by Youri Matiounine and Jonathan Rosenthal.

Basically, although I am sure programmers know it much better, I do not see what could be revolutionary in SF.

I think the honor of ultra fast testing goes to Christhope Theron, he wrote about it several times in CCC and it put him on top for a couple of years.

matejst likes this post

Back to top Go down
matejst

matejst

PostSubject: Re: Input request for upcoming poll   Input request for upcoming poll EmptyFri Dec 04, 2020 10:07 am

I did not know this, Ed. I became a member in 2007, and Christophe was already posting rarely on CCC.

But my points remains: nihil novi sub sole with SF.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Input request for upcoming poll   Input request for upcoming poll Empty

Back to top Go down

Input request for upcoming poll
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
ProDeo :: Computer Chess-
Jump to: