ProDeo
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
ProDeo

Computer Chess

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Torch V1 - Chess324 Testing Results

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Ray

Torch V1 - Chess324 Testing Results Empty
PostSubject: Torch V1 - Chess324 Testing Results   Torch V1 - Chess324 Testing Results EmptySat Oct 14, 2023 10:27 pm

https://ccrl.chessdom.com/ccrl/Chess324/index.html

Just to recap, this is a Top 15 revolving round-robin tournament using SPCC's Anti-Draw Chess324 opening book - SPCC 3-move Chess324_xxl_big_+090_+119. The book contains 70355 lines. Each pairing plays 100 openings reversed sides, so 200 games per pairing. Thanks to Stefan for his excellent work in creating these Chess324 books.

Revolving means that when a new engine version comes out, the old one is removed and the new one added. In this case also, because Torch came in as a new Top 15 engine, Seer at the bottom fell out.

This tournament was first published back in August and been being updated since then.

Torch is the #2 engine under these test conditions.

Admin and pohl4711 like this post

Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Torch V1 - Chess324 Testing Results   Torch V1 - Chess324 Testing Results EmptySat Oct 14, 2023 10:40 pm

Thanks Ray...

Stockfish 20230813 vs Torch v1 : 127 - 73 = 36.5%

Elo difference = 52

Great start but a long way to go.
Back to top Go down
http://rebel13.nl/
Ray

PostSubject: Re: Torch V1 - Chess324 Testing Results   Torch V1 - Chess324 Testing Results EmptySat Oct 14, 2023 11:00 pm

Yes it underperformed against Stockfish compared to its overall rating. In an online tournament maybe an alteration to the default contempt setting could help.
Back to top Go down
Uri Blass

PostSubject: Re: Torch V1 - Chess324 Testing Results   Torch V1 - Chess324 Testing Results EmptySun Oct 15, 2023 12:54 am

Ray wrote:
Yes it underperformed against Stockfish compared to its overall rating. In an online tournament maybe an alteration to the default contempt setting could help.

Thanks for the list but the data that I read in this discussion that Torch underperformed against Stockfish is misleading .

I saw from the table the following:
1)Torch underperformed by 52 elo against Stockfish
2)Torch is only 26 elo stonger than Dragon3.3

My wrong conjecture based on the data was that Torch is probably stronger against weak engines relative to Dragon but not against strong engines and that Torch scored less points against Stockfish but more points against the weak engines so Torch got a bigger elo.

I found that it is wrong by looking at the data
Torch did better than Dragon3.3 against Stockfish.
Torch lost 127-73 when Dragon3.3 lost 132-68.

I think that the problem is not with Torch.
The problem is with stockfish that in a systematical way underperform against the weaker engines and overperform against the stronger engines
maybe because it does not know to play for a win with black.

Nezhman likes this post

Back to top Go down
Ray

PostSubject: Re: Torch V1 - Chess324 Testing Results   Torch V1 - Chess324 Testing Results EmptySun Oct 15, 2023 1:03 am

Yes that is true, not a Torch issue, it is Stockfish behaviour.
Back to top Go down
Nezhman

PostSubject: Re: Torch V1 - Chess324 Testing Results   Torch V1 - Chess324 Testing Results EmptySun Oct 15, 2023 3:47 am

Uri Blass wrote:
Ray wrote:

Thanks for the list but the data that I read in this discussion that Torch underperformed against Stockfish is misleading .

I saw from the table the following:
1)Torch underperformed by 52 elo against Stockfish
2)Torch is only 26 elo stonger than Dragon3.3

My wrong conjecture based on the data was that Torch is probably stronger against weak engines relative to Dragon but not against strong engines and that Torch scored less points against Stockfish but more points against the weak engines so Torch got a bigger elo.

I found that it is wrong by looking at the data
Torch did better than Dragon3.3 against Stockfish.
Torch lost 127-73 when Dragon3.3 lost 132-68.

I think that the problem is not with Torch.
The problem is with stockfish that in a systematical way underperform against the weaker engines and overperform against the stronger engines
maybe because it does not know to play for a win with black.

Agreed, SFish plays too solidly with Black, as if not to lose.
Back to top Go down
Ray

PostSubject: Re: Torch V1 - Chess324 Testing Results   Torch V1 - Chess324 Testing Results EmptySun Oct 15, 2023 5:09 am

Stockfish is also very strong at FRC, and given that Chess324 is a subset of DFRC, I guess some of that strengths carries over.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Torch V1 - Chess324 Testing Results   Torch V1 - Chess324 Testing Results Empty

Back to top Go down

Torch V1 - Chess324 Testing Results
Page 1 of 1