ProDeo
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
ProDeo

Computer Chess

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Chess Tal development .... What is to be done?

Go down 
+3
Ipmanchess
adminx
Chris Whittington
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Chris Whittington

Chess Tal development .... What is to be done? Empty
PostSubject: Chess Tal development .... What is to be done?   Chess Tal development .... What is to be done? EmptySat Jun 25, 2022 11:49 am

Little bit of advice needed. I've developed some new code but run into a problem. I use two opening suites for testing out improvements, one is a Gambit book from Ed, the other is a balanced openings book, developed by Frank Quisinsky.
Chess System Tal without the new code gets about 3585 Elo using either opening book.
With the new code, the FQ opening book gives a little less, about 3580 Elo, but the Gambit book gives about 3610 Elo.

What is to be done?

adminx likes this post

Back to top Go down
adminx

adminx

PostSubject: Re: Chess Tal development .... What is to be done?   Chess Tal development .... What is to be done? EmptySat Jun 25, 2022 12:18 pm

I am in the New Code camp all day Chris! affraid
Back to top Go down
Ipmanchess

PostSubject: Re: Chess Tal development .... What is to be done?   Chess Tal development .... What is to be done? EmptySat Jun 25, 2022 12:58 pm

For engine strenght i think you need a balanced opening book..like in my engine testings i use Noomen 3moves special made for eng-eng testings.
Else you just run a book testing and not busy for engine strenght.

Kind regards,
Ipman.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Chess Tal development .... What is to be done?   Chess Tal development .... What is to be done? EmptySat Jun 25, 2022 5:23 pm

Ipman, welcome.

Back to top Go down
http://rebel13.nl/
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Chess Tal development .... What is to be done?   Chess Tal development .... What is to be done? EmptySat Jun 25, 2022 5:24 pm

Chris Whittington wrote:

Little bit of advice needed. I've developed some new code but run into a problem. I use two opening suites for testing out improvements, one is a Gambit book from Ed, the other is a balanced openings book, developed by Frank Quisinsky.
Chess System Tal without the new code gets about 3585 Elo using either opening book.
With the new code, the FQ opening book gives a little less, about 3580 Elo, but the Gambit book gives about 3610 Elo.

What is to be done?

Alternative - http://rebel13.nl/noomen/

Merge the pgns into one.

Noomen is good.

TheSelfImprover likes this post

Back to top Go down
Dio

PostSubject: Re: Chess Tal development .... What is to be done?   Chess Tal development .... What is to be done? EmptySat Jun 25, 2022 7:15 pm

Just a suggestion. In the past, I have primarily tested nets for Lc0, including for Albert Silver, Dietrich Kappe and Mark Jordan (Leelenstein).

For these tests I have used, among others, the NICE 2 test (>84000 test positions) from Ed.
I modified the test so that it was running without a search, i.e. only the NN was tested.

The results scaled very well with the general playing strength. If the goal is only to test the quality
of an NNUE, this test might be very helpful and relatively quick to perform. For NNUE tests, I think a thinking time of about 1000 ms is reasonable.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Admin and adminx like this post

Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Chess Tal development .... What is to be done?   Chess Tal development .... What is to be done? EmptySat Jun 25, 2022 7:21 pm

How nice that you were using NICE Very Happy

Dio likes this post

Back to top Go down
Dio

PostSubject: Re: Chess Tal development .... What is to be done?   Chess Tal development .... What is to be done? EmptySat Jun 25, 2022 7:24 pm

The decision which net became the final one at Fat Fritz 1.0 (Chessbase) or Leelenstein 15.0 was made based on this test.

I used this test so often that 60 GB of my small SSD were occupied by log files in the meantime. :-)
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Chess Tal development .... What is to be done?   Chess Tal development .... What is to be done? EmptySat Jun 25, 2022 10:46 pm

Dio wrote:
The decision which net became the final one at Fat Fritz 1.0 (Chessbase) or Leelenstein 15.0 was made based on this test.

Surprise there, did not expect the util would be used for top engines.

Dio wrote:
I used this test so often that 60 GB of my small SSD were occupied by log files in the meantime. :-)

Don't get me started Very Happy
Back to top Go down
TheSelfImprover

TheSelfImprover

PostSubject: Re: Chess Tal development .... What is to be done?   Chess Tal development .... What is to be done? EmptySun Jun 26, 2022 9:00 am

Chris Whittington wrote:

What is to be done?

Did you want your program to be especially good at sacrificial/gambit play, or to be good at everything?

If you want it to be good at everything, you might have to accept that your new code is not as good as you were hoping for.
Back to top Go down
Mclane

Mclane

PostSubject: Re: Chess Tal development .... What is to be done?   Chess Tal development .... What is to be done? EmptySun Jun 26, 2022 10:38 am

Use gambit book
Back to top Go down
http://www.thorstenczub.de
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chess Tal development .... What is to be done?   Chess Tal development .... What is to be done? Empty

Back to top Go down

Chess Tal development .... What is to be done?
Page 1 of 1