ProDeo
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
ProDeo

Computer Chess

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Time forfeit contradiction

Go down 
+4
Ipmanchess
Ray
Wolfgang
Chris Whittington
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Time forfeit contradiction - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time forfeit contradiction   Time forfeit contradiction - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 10, 2023 11:49 am

Ipmanchess wrote:
When a engine can play 1sec+0sec.games ,then i'm sure it can handle any time control in my tests!
And no matter what Gui you using..

last evening i run Stockfish with 0.6sec+0sec.games without any Time Forfeits.

That's because programmers surrendered solving problems that aren't theirs.
Back to top Go down
http://rebel13.nl/
Chris Whittington

PostSubject: Re: Time forfeit contradiction   Time forfeit contradiction - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 10, 2023 11:49 am

Admin wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:
Ray wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:
I use ChessGUI only for my engine v engine testing.
I have the time overstep margin per game set to 5000 milliseconds.

5 seconds ?? Shocked

Yes.
When other things are running on the computer as well, I like to play it safe.

As long as programmers don't make use of that information it is okay. But I think 1000ms is more than enough for cutechess. But of course I don't know chessgui well enough, it seems to record anything Very Happy as seen in the debug files you mailed me, that could have a negative effect on engines. IOW, when it comes to time control nothing is simple.

as long as one tester is running at 500ms or 1000ms, then an engine that is trying to game the system is going to get punished, so we're safe enough with honest time controls.
Back to top Go down
Chris Whittington

PostSubject: Re: Time forfeit contradiction   Time forfeit contradiction - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 11, 2023 12:46 pm

Graham Banks wrote:
Rebel 16.1 1CPU has had no losses on time at 40 moves in 11 minutes repeating, but Rebel 16.1 4CPU had 40% time losses.
I sent Ed the debug files for the time losses, so I hope those can help in fixing the issue.

Found the 4CPU bug and fixed it (it had nothing to do with the time controller, was just a dumb error by me elsewhere), CCRL leads most helpful for where to look, thanks

Now the time controller needs tuning and still some re-write, and Rebel should be good to go.

Damir Desevac, Dio, Eelco and Graham Banks like this post

Back to top Go down
Chris Whittington

PostSubject: Re: Time forfeit contradiction   Time forfeit contradiction - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 11, 2023 6:30 pm

Chris Whittington wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:
Rebel 16.1 1CPU has had no losses on time at 40 moves in 11 minutes repeating, but Rebel 16.1 4CPU had 40% time losses.
I sent Ed the debug files for the time losses, so I hope those can help in fixing the issue.

Found the 4CPU bug and fixed it (it had nothing to do with the time controller, was just a dumb error by me elsewhere), CCRL leads most helpful for where to look, thanks

Now the time controller needs tuning and still some re-write, and Rebel should be good to go.

Just learnt that Ed might be adding a surprise goodie …

Damir Desevac, Dio, Eelco and Graham Banks like this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Time forfeit contradiction   Time forfeit contradiction - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Time forfeit contradiction
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2