ProDeo
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
ProDeo

Computer Chess

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

NNUE for pruning and search extensions

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Dio

NNUE for pruning and search extensions Empty
PostSubject: NNUE for pruning and search extensions   NNUE for pruning and search extensions EmptyFri Apr 14, 2023 6:44 pm

Little Goliath Evolution already uses such NNUE. An excerpt from the readme:

"Major improvement is the introduction of neural networks for extension and pruning decisions.

I have also experimented with networks for move ordering. Unfortunately without significant success (too much overhead)."

Ghppn likes this post

Back to top Go down
Chris Whittington

PostSubject: Re: NNUE for pruning and search extensions   NNUE for pruning and search extensions EmptySat Apr 15, 2023 7:34 pm

Dio wrote:
Little Goliath Evolution already uses such NNUE. An excerpt from the readme:

"Major improvement is the introduction of neural networks for extension and pruning decisions.

I have also experimented with networks for move ordering. Unfortunately without significant success (too much overhead)."

Both Rebel and Chess System Tal are using dedicated neural nets in search. Chess System Tal also uses a dedicated net in time control. They don’t give much Elo overall, but they’re quite time expensive so they do at least pay for themselves plus a bit.

Dio and Ghppn like this post

Back to top Go down
Dio

PostSubject: Re: NNUE for pruning and search extensions   NNUE for pruning and search extensions EmptySat Apr 15, 2023 8:00 pm

Thanks, I was not aware of this, it was a reference to Ed's post at talkchess. "The next big thing is a neural net driven search."

Little Goliath Evolution 3.16 uses a total of four very small NN (3 of them internal, one general external), the internal ones are additionally responsible for search extensions or pruning). I find this an interesting (and in the tests) successful idea.

Ghppn likes this post

Back to top Go down
Chris Whittington

PostSubject: Re: NNUE for pruning and search extensions   NNUE for pruning and search extensions EmptySat Apr 15, 2023 9:39 pm

Dio wrote:
Thanks, I was not aware of this, it was a reference to Ed's post at talkchess. "The next big thing is a neural net driven search."

Little Goliath Evolution 3.16 uses a total of four very small NN (3 of them internal, one general external), the internal ones are additionally responsible for search extensions or pruning). I find this an interesting (and in the tests) successful idea.

I think Ed is being a trifle over-optimistic here!

Hand crafted search is mostly a set of botches piled on top of other botches with a wing and a prayer and a bit of tuning. An integrated system would be nice, something more similar to LCZ, but that takes a big net.

Problem with move ordering is that how does a net represent a move? AZ uses a 64x64 from-to matrix and lights up a 'score' for all the legal moves. Actually it lights up a score for all possible moves, a1 to f4 included, but only needs to look at the, say 40, legal ones to get the highest score (well, that's what they did when I last looked, several years ago). A CPU program will, worst case, need to resolve all 40 nodes sequentially and that's going to be a non-trivial amount of matrix operation. Whereas a GPU resolves them all more or less simultaneously.

Ghppn likes this post

Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: NNUE for pruning and search extensions   NNUE for pruning and search extensions EmptySun Apr 16, 2023 9:25 am

I think we just haven't discovered to do things right.

Ghppn likes this post

Back to top Go down
http://rebel13.nl/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NNUE for pruning and search extensions   NNUE for pruning and search extensions Empty

Back to top Go down

NNUE for pruning and search extensions
Page 1 of 1