ProDeo
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
ProDeo

Computer Chess

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Update on Rebel-15-with-ChrisW-NNUE dev-v2.2

Go down 
+5
matejst
TheSelfImprover
Mclane
Admin
Chris Whittington
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Mclane

Mclane

Update on Rebel-15-with-ChrisW-NNUE dev-v2.2 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Update on Rebel-15-with-ChrisW-NNUE dev-v2.2   Update on Rebel-15-with-ChrisW-NNUE dev-v2.2 - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 15, 2022 8:13 pm

As far as i understand chris the major problem is not that we could have machines to help him, but that the data to generate the data is on his PC in france and internet is not a help even if we would have the big machines with the many terrabytes of HDD.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thorstenczub.de
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Update on Rebel-15-with-ChrisW-NNUE dev-v2.2   Update on Rebel-15-with-ChrisW-NNUE dev-v2.2 - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 16, 2022 10:06 am

Well, first of all, it is an unfortunate fact of computer chess life that engines baked in the oven of the programmer proudly posting their (hard fought) expected elo gain often is halved in real life by those pesky rating lists Update on Rebel-15-with-ChrisW-NNUE dev-v2.2 - Page 2 1f495 you can't do without. So 50 elo is not much.

Secondly, I am not happy yet, Chris created a new NNUE architecture and I haven't fully explored its possibilities, there is more to gain. I estimate I need at least another month before I can say, it's done. Now it feels unfinished. I never release something that is unfinished, there is no satisfaction in unfinished.

adminx, matejst and Dio like this post

Back to top Go down
http://rebel13.nl/
Dio

PostSubject: Re: Update on Rebel-15-with-ChrisW-NNUE dev-v2.2   Update on Rebel-15-with-ChrisW-NNUE dev-v2.2 - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 16, 2022 7:53 pm

I hope that Rebel and Chess System Tal will participate in today's online tournament. I wish you both much success. It is a pity that it is not possible to follow this interesting tournament online.

Mclane likes this post

Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Update on Rebel-15-with-ChrisW-NNUE dev-v2.2   Update on Rebel-15-with-ChrisW-NNUE dev-v2.2 - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 16, 2022 8:14 pm

Dio wrote:
I hope that Rebel and Chess System Tal will participate in today's online tournament. I wish you both much success. It is a pity that it is not possible to follow this interesting tournament online.

Chris will play, not me. But PM Joost Buijs, he will give you access as spectator.

Mclane likes this post

Back to top Go down
http://rebel13.nl/
Mclane

Mclane

PostSubject: Re: Update on Rebel-15-with-ChrisW-NNUE dev-v2.2   Update on Rebel-15-with-ChrisW-NNUE dev-v2.2 - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 16, 2022 8:24 pm

Easter tournament?
Back to top Go down
Dio

PostSubject: Re: Update on Rebel-15-with-ChrisW-NNUE dev-v2.2   Update on Rebel-15-with-ChrisW-NNUE dev-v2.2 - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 16, 2022 8:26 pm

matejst likes this post

Back to top Go down
matejst

matejst

PostSubject: Re: Update on Rebel-15-with-ChrisW-NNUE dev-v2.2   Update on Rebel-15-with-ChrisW-NNUE dev-v2.2 - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 17, 2022 9:53 am

Congrats, Chris! Excellent result with no losses, shared second place.

Admin, Chris Whittington, Mclane, TheSelfImprover and Dio like this post

Back to top Go down
mwyoung

mwyoung

PostSubject: Re: Update on Rebel-15-with-ChrisW-NNUE dev-v2.2   Update on Rebel-15-with-ChrisW-NNUE dev-v2.2 - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 17, 2022 8:57 pm

Chris Whittington wrote:
matejst wrote:
Thanks, Chris.

I have a spare laptop we could use, but it is a AMD A8 with Radeon graphics, I think. So it is not much, but if I can help, I will gladly do it. Just tell me what.

Laptops are probably not advised for this type of NN training because the training software is so thoroughly optimised (we are using PyTorch) that it continuously hammers both the GPU and CPU and that generates a lot of heat. training can last several days. Heat dissipation in laptops is not terribly good, in general.
There’s quite possibly issues with farming out the training elsewhere, for example, I am currently working with 12 billion training positions and that is targeted to grow plenty more. That’s roughly 500 or 600 Gb of data, it can be compressed and I guess we could change data format and use the SF data format (I think that’s 2-3 bytes per position) but even so that’s ~30Gb for 12B positions. Completely impractical for me on rural French internet and probably not much better in practice with any “home” internet.

I have been using a cooler for my Laptop. And it as worked very well. I have been using my laptop to mine crypto for months without stopping. Hammering both the CPU and GPU at full load. And the temps for both the GPU and CPU stay below the 70c range for both the GPU and CPU. Instead of the 90c+ range without this cooler. My laptop is high end, Running a Ryzen 9 5900HX, and a RTX 3070.

Here is the cooler that will solve any laptop heating issues. All other Laptop coolers I have used are junk.

Update on Rebel-15-with-ChrisW-NNUE dev-v2.2 - Page 2 Laptop10

matejst and Tibono like this post

Back to top Go down
Mclane

Mclane

PostSubject: Re: Update on Rebel-15-with-ChrisW-NNUE dev-v2.2   Update on Rebel-15-with-ChrisW-NNUE dev-v2.2 - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 17, 2022 9:00 pm

Isnt the electricity bill higher then the money you make out of crypto mining ?
Back to top Go down
mwyoung

mwyoung

PostSubject: Re: Update on Rebel-15-with-ChrisW-NNUE dev-v2.2   Update on Rebel-15-with-ChrisW-NNUE dev-v2.2 - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 17, 2022 9:03 pm

Mclane wrote:

No, not even close. I pay 9.3 cents per KWH. And the laptop is very efficient.
Back to top Go down
Mclane

Mclane

PostSubject: Re: Update on Rebel-15-with-ChrisW-NNUE dev-v2.2   Update on Rebel-15-with-ChrisW-NNUE dev-v2.2 - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 17, 2022 9:14 pm

Admin wrote:
Well, first of all, it is an unfortunate fact of computer chess life that engines baked in the oven of the programmer proudly posting their (hard fought) expected elo gain often is halved in real life by those pesky rating lists Update on Rebel-15-with-ChrisW-NNUE dev-v2.2 - Page 2 1f495 you can't do without. So 50 elo is not much.

Secondly, I am not happy yet, Chris created a new NNUE architecture and I haven't fully explored its possibilities, there is more to gain. I estimate I need at least another month before I can say, it's done. Now it feels unfinished. I never release something that is unfinished, there is no satisfaction in unfinished.

What is the difference between the old net and the new net ?
Back to top Go down
mwyoung

mwyoung

PostSubject: Re: Update on Rebel-15-with-ChrisW-NNUE dev-v2.2   Update on Rebel-15-with-ChrisW-NNUE dev-v2.2 - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 17, 2022 11:44 pm

Mclane wrote:

Here is my current todays stats for mining crypto with my laptop. It is very profitable. I have made over $400 per month in the past. It just depends on the price of crypto I am mining for that day, week, and month.

Update on Rebel-15-with-ChrisW-NNUE dev-v2.2 - Page 2 Laptop11
Back to top Go down
Tibono

Tibono

PostSubject: Re: Update on Rebel-15-with-ChrisW-NNUE dev-v2.2   Update on Rebel-15-with-ChrisW-NNUE dev-v2.2 - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 18, 2022 9:47 am

clown ... this is my own cooling system:

Update on Rebel-15-with-ChrisW-NNUE dev-v2.2 - Page 2 Cooler1
Left: this is where the hot air flows out from the internal fan system. Check the black plastic deflector to guide the hot air upside, and the metal convector set down on the edge of the keyboard (as this area is getting hot due to the internal air flow).
Front: awsome smart system to enhance fresh air circulation under the laptop. Plastic bottle tops (€0)
Right: former impact printer professional fan. Recovered from a bin (€0).

Update on Rebel-15-with-ChrisW-NNUE dev-v2.2 - Page 2 Cooler2
Details of the convector: just glued metal plates from my unused hardware stock (€0). The radiating surface is 5 times the bottom contact surface.

Update on Rebel-15-with-ChrisW-NNUE dev-v2.2 - Page 2 Cooler3
The printer fan. Actually it was cooling a soundproof box muffling an office impact printer (back in the 90's). That is why it is definitely silent by design. The soundproof box was no more any useful once the impact printer has be replaced by a laser printer. 30 years later, still working fine. That's a fan!

Total price: €0 Laughing

Admin and TheSelfImprover like this post

Back to top Go down
http://tibono.free.fr/Echiquiers_electroniques_eng.html
Mclane

Mclane

PostSubject: Re: Update on Rebel-15-with-ChrisW-NNUE dev-v2.2   Update on Rebel-15-with-ChrisW-NNUE dev-v2.2 - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 18, 2022 10:03 am

And what do you cool inside this laptop ? Nvidia ?
Back to top Go down
Tibono

Tibono

PostSubject: Re: Update on Rebel-15-with-ChrisW-NNUE dev-v2.2   Update on Rebel-15-with-ChrisW-NNUE dev-v2.2 - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 18, 2022 12:49 pm

No No Nvidia, no GPU... just an Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 4500M (64Mb dedicated memory, 400Mhz). This does not heat.
My sophisticated Smile cooling system is essentially for hot summer time  sunny , two chess programs playing each other, using 1 core each (and ponder on). Thus the CPU is stuck at 100% (Pentium Dual-Core CPU T4500 @ 2.30GHz).

Mclane likes this post

Back to top Go down
http://tibono.free.fr/Echiquiers_electroniques_eng.html
Mclane

Mclane

PostSubject: Re: Update on Rebel-15-with-ChrisW-NNUE dev-v2.2   Update on Rebel-15-with-ChrisW-NNUE dev-v2.2 - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 18, 2022 1:23 pm

Update on Rebel-15-with-ChrisW-NNUE dev-v2.2 - Page 2 Cbd92710

Ok. I see. I am sitting in the sun on the balcony doing retro chess with novag constellation and Mephisto III.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Update on Rebel-15-with-ChrisW-NNUE dev-v2.2   Update on Rebel-15-with-ChrisW-NNUE dev-v2.2 - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Update on Rebel-15-with-ChrisW-NNUE dev-v2.2
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2