ProDeo
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
ProDeo

Computer Chess

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

some eval experiments (call it an engine if you want)

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
nescitus

some eval experiments (call it an engine if you want) Empty
PostSubject: some eval experiments (call it an engine if you want)   some eval experiments (call it an engine if you want) EmptyWed May 17, 2023 8:24 pm

https://github.com/nescitus/meander

I do not consider it a full fledged engine, rather an attempt to bring some more complexity to handcrafted evaluation function. Tuning this stuff is pain in the ass, but I hope it will inspire someone to try the following ideas:

- Some pawn and knight piece/square tables are chosen depending on the pawn structure in the center and the castling status.
- Many aspects of pawn evaluation are replaced by pawn x pawn table, evaluating doubled, defended and phalanx pawns as well as relationships between more distant pawns (i.e. white pawns on e5 and h5 = good)

The gain is meagre, 56% score against the latest Rodent, translating into 40 Elo. I might release it officially if I get 100 Elo from eval function alone. The grand plan is:

- tuning the hell out of pawn x pawn table
- adding bishop x pawn and knight x pawn table to catch some more features not accounted for in classic HCE
- adding more piece/square tables for specific central pawn structures.

Frankly speaking, I do not expect all of this to work, but I want to be surprised.

Ghppn likes this post

Back to top Go down
texium

some eval experiments (call it an engine if you want) Empty
PostSubject: Re: some eval experiments (call it an engine if you want)   some eval experiments (call it an engine if you want) EmptyTue May 30, 2023 4:53 am

i think some good games to tune on would be GM Hikaru's blitz games, very dynamic and over 30k so lots of data, should make a high quality pawn table
Back to top Go down

some eval experiments (call it an engine if you want)
Page 1 of 1