ProDeo
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
ProDeo

Computer Chess

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Repertoire tool

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Jonathan003

Repertoire tool Empty
PostSubject: Repertoire tool   Repertoire tool EmptyFri Feb 09, 2024 9:42 pm

This is part of the manual of Chess Position Trainer

Quote :
>1 candidate moves: Usually you only want to have one candidate move for your side for each position.
Sometimes you want to add alternative moves, but sometimes for example due to an import you have
unintentionally more than one candidate moves for your side. This criterion lets you go to the next position,
where more than candidate move exists for your side (opponent side is ignored).

I don't understand that sites like Chesstempo.com or Chessable.com don't have this functionality.
Besides Chess Position Trainer, I also don't know of any other chess software that has a similar functionality.
I have my repertoires in pgn format. Different lines (or short games without results). For each different opening line, a different game. My white repertoire for example has about 5000 opening lines.

The problem in Chess Position Trainer is that if for example I'm at position 300 out of 500 positions with more than one candidate moves. And I delete a candidate move I don't like. And I click on ">1 candidate moves" again, I don't jump to the next position with more than one candidate moves. But to the first position again with more than on candidate moves. Then I have to click 299 times or 300 times on ">1 candidate moves" to continuo from where I was.

I wonder how I can do it more efficient?
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Repertoire tool Empty
PostSubject: Re: Repertoire tool   Repertoire tool EmptySat Feb 10, 2024 7:23 am

Should you not ask Chesstempo.com and Chessable.com ?

Aside of that, the problem you are facing is that (as far as I know) no engine programmer ever took the trouble to create and maintain 2 books, one for white and one for black, we just do one for both colors.

If you have a working polyglot book for white and one for black I will see if I can make a special ProDeo version for since it requires a couple of significant changes.
Back to top Go down
http://rebel13.nl/
Jonathan003

Repertoire tool Empty
PostSubject: Re: Repertoire tool   Repertoire tool EmptySat Feb 10, 2024 8:23 am

Admin wrote:
Should you not ask Chesstempo.com and Chessable.com ?

Aside of that, the problem you are facing is that (as far as I know) no engine programmer ever took the trouble to create and maintain 2 books, one for white and one for black, we just do one for both colors.

If you have a working polyglot book for white and one for black I will see if I can make a special ProDeo version for since it requires a couple of significant changes.

I did ask Chesstempo.com and Chessable.com, but I didn't have an answer yet.
I was hoping someone with programming knowledge could help me with it. I have my repertoires in pgn format.
This is a standard format that every chess programmer knows.
I don't like to use bin books for making repertoires.
They are hard to convert to pgn. And if you convert them to pgn the candidate moves don't have the same frequency of play as the original pgn files.
If you make an obk book from a pgn file. And you export back to pgn with obk2pgn, you have exactly the same number of games as the input pgn, and the candidate moves have the same frequency of play as the original pgn files.
The PGN output of “obk2pgn” looks like this: Each variation in the original OBK file is output as a separate game in the PGN file. Each move is annotated according to the book score:

3 = !!, 2 = !, 1 = , 0 = ?.

The problem is that I can’t search for moves without an informant symbol (moves with 1 dot in the obk book). Therefore, we change the output with Python script:

3 = !! or $3, 2 = ! or $1, 1 = !? or $5, 0 = ? or $2.

Then I remove all games with a ? or !? or ! in the annotation. So I only keep the games where each move (for the side of the repertoire), is annotated with a !!.
To remove inferior lines for the side of the repertoire, (games played less by top grandmasters, and strong engines).

That's what I want, to not make it more complicated as necessary.
I think the reason is that transpositions are ignored when making obk books.
If you try to convert a bin book of 500Mb to pgn with jja 0.9.0 for example. It takes night and day and never finishes. And If you abort you get a pgn file from more 200GB.
Bin books is good for engines, but not for making over the board repertoires I think.

The obk book format is also not ideal because it is slow to make obk books and to convert back to pgn, but it is the best approach I know for now.
If I was a programmer I would make a new book format that is suitable both for making otb repertoires as to use with engines. That can easily be converted back and forth to pgn (with informant symbols), while maintaining  the same frequency of play of the candidate moves, as the input pgn, (frequency of play is something different than the weight of a move in the book).

Last edited by Jonathan003 on Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:58 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Jonathan003

Repertoire tool Empty
PostSubject: Re: Repertoire tool   Repertoire tool EmptySat Feb 10, 2024 8:50 am

Here is a video capture how the function ">1 candidate moves" works in Chess Position Trainer.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-q5N8cP2L3QjiRxV2LxQLxwOsi8jswG7/view?usp=sharing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Repertoire tool Empty
PostSubject: Re: Repertoire tool   Repertoire tool Empty

Back to top Go down

Repertoire tool
Page 1 of 1