ProDeo
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
ProDeo

Computer Chess

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

News about Rebel or Chess System Tal ?

Go down 
+19
Eelco
Holofernes
TheSelfImprover
Damir Desevac
mwyoung
Wolfgang
texium
Alex-Microsmeta
pohl4711
Peter Berger
peter
gerhard
Werner
matejst
Chris Whittington
Ipmanchess
Mclane
Admin
Dio
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
texium

News about Rebel or Chess System Tal ? - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: News about Rebel or Chess System Tal ?   News about Rebel or Chess System Tal ? - Page 6 EmptyFri Dec 23, 2022 8:42 am

Chris Whittington wrote:
Dio wrote:
Are there any news regarding the current development of Rebel and Chess System Tal ?

Any "speculations" whether Niemann has cheated or not have not much to do with computer chess in my opinion.

I would be especially happy to test the new chess engine from Chris. I hope that this will be the case sometime.

Chess System Tal is pretty much ready to go, we decided to release Rebel 16 first and are just finalising that now.

CSTal is planned for release to rating list testers about a fortnight on from Rebel16 and to users about a week later.

very glad to hear you're well again; is this version from this post something we can check out early silent
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: News about Rebel or Chess System Tal ?   News about Rebel or Chess System Tal ? - Page 6 EmptySun Dec 25, 2022 11:57 am

Question for Dio, Ipman and Stefan

I assume all 3 of you use cutechess with -concurrency.

When you test, what's the formula of how many threads you use?

Say your PC has 16 cores and 32 threads, how many threads do you define with -concurrency ?

I am asking because we are struggling with time forfeits on busy PC's, for instance when 28 of the 32 threads are used.

Back to top Go down
http://rebel13.nl/
pohl4711

pohl4711

PostSubject: Re: News about Rebel or Chess System Tal ?   News about Rebel or Chess System Tal ? - Page 6 EmptySun Dec 25, 2022 12:32 pm

Admin wrote:

Say your PC has 16 cores and 32 threads, how many threads do you define with -concurrency ?

I am asking because we are struggling with time forfeits on busy PC's, for instance when 28 of the 32 threads are used.

I use 12core Ryzen CPUs and concurrency 20 and never had any problems with timelosses. But perhaps you use a too small number for the timemargin-parameter of cutechess-cli?
I use timemargin=2000 (2000 milliseconds) and never had any problems with timelosses... IMO timemargin should be set to 2x size of the increment of your thinking-time (I am testing with 180+1).

Dio likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.sp-cc.de
Dio

PostSubject: Re: News about Rebel or Chess System Tal ?   News about Rebel or Chess System Tal ? - Page 6 EmptySun Dec 25, 2022 12:50 pm

My test machine has 12 threads, of which I use 8 threads for testing.

As far as the UCI parameter is available, I set a move-overhead of 500 (500 ms) for the engines.
For the time control I also use the timemargin-parameter.
Back to top Go down
pohl4711

pohl4711

PostSubject: Re: News about Rebel or Chess System Tal ?   News about Rebel or Chess System Tal ? - Page 6 EmptySun Dec 25, 2022 1:44 pm

Dio wrote:

As far as the UCI parameter is available, I set a move-overhead of 500 (500 ms) for the engines.

timemargin is the same as move-overhead, but located in the GUI, not in the engine. So, if timemargin is set to a high value, there is no need for setting any move overhead as an UCI-option in any engine.

Dio likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.sp-cc.de
Chris Whittington

PostSubject: Re: News about Rebel or Chess System Tal ?   News about Rebel or Chess System Tal ? - Page 6 EmptySun Dec 25, 2022 3:08 pm

Admin wrote:

I think you just need to monitor Task Manager CPU utilisation, and keep it below 100%. CPU utilisation against Concurrency varies across engines.
Back to top Go down
Chris Whittington

PostSubject: Re: News about Rebel or Chess System Tal ?   News about Rebel or Chess System Tal ? - Page 6 EmptySun Dec 25, 2022 3:10 pm

pohl4711 wrote:
Dio wrote:

timemargin is the same as move-overhead, but located in the GUI, not in the engine. So, if timemargin is set to a high value, there is no need for setting any move overhead as an UCI-option in any engine.

This makes a lot of sense. It's not for the engine to second guess how much allowance it has to make for the range of possible GUIs
Back to top Go down
mwyoung

mwyoung

PostSubject: Re: News about Rebel or Chess System Tal ?   News about Rebel or Chess System Tal ? - Page 6 EmptySun Dec 25, 2022 3:30 pm

Chris Whittington wrote:
pohl4711 wrote:
Dio wrote:

This makes a lot of sense. It's not for the engine to second guess how much allowance it has to make for the range of possible GUIs

I have always been able to used 16 cores, of my 16 cores / 32 logical cores cores when testing on my Threadripper with zero issues. I have had the test running for weeks, and even had them broadcasted here.

I always make sure my testing computers rest start is about 1% CPU usage, with nothing taking CPU in the background.

It could be possible because Threadripper is a sever grade CPU, with more CPU memory, and memory channels, and is designed for this kind of load, over a desktop grade CPU.

So you can test 32 engines at the same time with ponder off, and 16 engines with ponder on.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: News about Rebel or Chess System Tal ?   News about Rebel or Chess System Tal ? - Page 6 EmptySun Dec 25, 2022 4:29 pm

Dio wrote:

And of which value do you set the -timemargin ?
Back to top Go down
mwyoung

mwyoung

PostSubject: Re: News about Rebel or Chess System Tal ?   News about Rebel or Chess System Tal ? - Page 6 EmptySun Dec 25, 2022 4:34 pm

Admin wrote:
Dio wrote:

And of which value do you set the -timemargin ?

If you are concerned set it to 5 seconds. But default is fine, I never change my move overhead.

If you are having issues with time losses above the default setting. Your computer is just letting you
know. You have having some kind of slowing issues on your system.
Back to top Go down
Dio

PostSubject: Re: News about Rebel or Chess System Tal ?   News about Rebel or Chess System Tal ? - Page 6 EmptySun Dec 25, 2022 4:37 pm

my setting for timemargin is 1000 ms, I am playing with TC 4min + 2sec. There are no timelosses.

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: News about Rebel or Chess System Tal ?   News about Rebel or Chess System Tal ? - Page 6 EmptySun Dec 25, 2022 4:43 pm

Dio wrote:
my setting for timemargin is 1000 ms, I am playing with TC 4min + 2sec. There are no timelosses.

Great.

I turned timemargin off because I thought it was not in use by testers Very Happy

My bad..............

mwyoung and Dio like this post

Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: News about Rebel or Chess System Tal ?   News about Rebel or Chess System Tal ? - Page 6 EmptySun Dec 25, 2022 5:11 pm

Cutechess hint - to test for crashes I use a high timemargin of 90 seconds, when there are forfeits check the PGN and the last move will show a time use of ~90 seconds.
Back to top Go down
texium

PostSubject: Re: News about Rebel or Chess System Tal ?   News about Rebel or Chess System Tal ? - Page 6 EmptySun Dec 25, 2022 5:15 pm

I have 4 threads but just use 1 with 128 or 1024 (out of 16384) mb hash for consistency
Back to top Go down
Chris Whittington

PostSubject: Re: News about Rebel or Chess System Tal ?   News about Rebel or Chess System Tal ? - Page 6 EmptySun Dec 25, 2022 6:01 pm

mwyoung wrote:
Chris Whittington wrote:
pohl4711 wrote:
Dio wrote:

I have always been able to used 16 cores, of my 16 cores / 32 logical cores cores when testing on my Threadripper with zero issues. I have had the test running for weeks, and even had them broadcasted here.

I always make sure my testing computers rest start is about 1% CPU usage, with nothing taking CPU in the background.

It could be possible because Threadripper is a sever grade CPU, with more CPU memory, and memory channels, and is designed for this kind of load, over a desktop grade CPU.

So you can test 32 engines at the same time with ponder off, and 16 engines with ponder on.

I've 64x threadripper and that can get flaky with threads > 54 (-ish). It seems to be a combination of Windows OS, thread count and the engine type, some engines are less flaky that others. Disc activity can be a killer if too much at once.
Back to top Go down
mwyoung

mwyoung

PostSubject: Re: News about Rebel or Chess System Tal ?   News about Rebel or Chess System Tal ? - Page 6 EmptySun Dec 25, 2022 6:10 pm

Chris Whittington wrote:
mwyoung wrote:
Chris Whittington wrote:
pohl4711 wrote:
Dio wrote:

I've 64x threadripper and that can get flaky with threads > 54 (-ish). It seems to be a combination of Windows OS, thread count and the engine type, some engines are less flaky that others. Disc activity can be a killer if too much at once.

Disc activity will be a killer is you do not have a M.2. If you mean disc activity = Tablebase reads.
Back to top Go down
Chris Whittington

PostSubject: Re: News about Rebel or Chess System Tal ?   News about Rebel or Chess System Tal ? - Page 6 EmptySun Dec 25, 2022 6:18 pm

mwyoung wrote:
Chris Whittington wrote:
mwyoung wrote:
Chris Whittington wrote:
pohl4711 wrote:
Dio wrote:

Disc activity will be a killer is you do not have a M.2. If you mean disc activity = Tablebase reads.

Actually I meant NNUE loading at program start. Asking 64 threads to load humungous of NB weights each fails hopelessly. Which is why NNUE weights are part of the .exe, windows is fine with serially loading bulky exe’s.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: News about Rebel or Chess System Tal ?   News about Rebel or Chess System Tal ? - Page 6 EmptyMon Dec 26, 2022 12:32 am

timemargin set to 1000ms, played 2000 games, busy PC on purpose, 10 of 12 threads, tc 15+0.1, no single forfeit.

Hurray.

TheSelfImprover, mwyoung, Dio, Ipmanchess and Holofernes like this post

Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: News about Rebel or Chess System Tal ?   News about Rebel or Chess System Tal ? - Page 6 EmptyThu Dec 29, 2022 9:19 am

Small update, we are still not fully satisfied with the new time control written from scratch by Chris. It requires a lot of testing but one thing I can tell already, the weak point of Rebel 16 (as many of you know) was the time sudden death time control. Rebel-16a was a major improvement but still not good enough to our taste.

We have now reached a point that sudden death time control performs ~20 elo better than Rebel-16a. And of course all the energy spend on this will also make CSTAL even stronger.

Just to say the (long) wait will be worth for it.

TheSelfImprover, matejst, Damir Desevac, Dio, Ipmanchess, gerhard and Holofernes like this post

Back to top Go down
Chris Whittington

PostSubject: Re: News about Rebel or Chess System Tal ?   News about Rebel or Chess System Tal ? - Page 6 EmptySun Jan 01, 2023 8:41 pm

Admin wrote:
timemargin set to 1000ms, played 2000 games, busy PC on purpose, 10 of 12 threads, tc 15+0.1, no single forfeit.

Hurray.

10,000 games 40/10, free of forfeits so far, timemargin=1000

Admin, matejst, Dio and Ipmanchess like this post

Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: News about Rebel or Chess System Tal ?   News about Rebel or Chess System Tal ? - Page 6 EmptyMon Jan 02, 2023 12:01 am

Chris Whittington wrote:
Admin wrote:

Hurray.

10,000 games 40/10, free of forfeits so far, timemargin=1000

Same good results here, mission accomplished, great job Chris.

I will try to release Rebel 16.1 tomorrow if the last tests are good. Features -

1. A somewhat improved engine. Hard to say how much elo since it only has been tested at 40/10 (bullet) level.
2. Updated time control, especially for the game in x levels.
3. Added permanent brain.

Thus, basically a small update.

matejst, Damir Desevac, Dio and Ipmanchess like this post

Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: News about Rebel or Chess System Tal ?   News about Rebel or Chess System Tal ? - Page 6 EmptyMon Jan 02, 2023 6:56 am

News about Rebel or Chess System Tal ? - Page 6 Rebel-12

1. Much improved time control, especially the game in x levels.

2. Added permanent brain, also known as pondering.

3. The engine has increased somewhat in strength. We estimate an overall increase of 5-15 elo but on game in x levels 20-30 elo.

http://rebel13.nl/windows/rebel-16.html

Chris Whittington, Brendan, TheSelfImprover, matejst, Damir Desevac, Dio, Eelco and like this post

Back to top Go down
Raymond

PostSubject: Re: News about Rebel or Chess System Tal ?   News about Rebel or Chess System Tal ? - Page 6 EmptyTue Jan 03, 2023 2:02 pm

Hello all,

Something is wrong with the latest engine 16.1. I did some small engine tournaments (5min, no book, no ponder, no endgame base, under the Fritz GUI, Ryzen 9 5950x 32 threads) and it crashes very often. 11 times out of 20... 16a was stable, this one is not unfortunately.

Greets Raymond

Mclane likes this post

Back to top Go down
Mclane

Mclane

PostSubject: Re: News about Rebel or Chess System Tal ?   News about Rebel or Chess System Tal ? - Page 6 EmptyTue Jan 03, 2023 2:43 pm

On my system with ponder on i had time forfeits. But maybe this is similar bug because it crashed (and the GUI then adjudicates as time forfeit).

Ryzen9 8 cores each, 40 moves in 3'
Pb on
Back to top Go down
http://www.thorstenczub.de
Dio

PostSubject: Re: News about Rebel or Chess System Tal ?   News about Rebel or Chess System Tal ? - Page 6 EmptyTue Jan 03, 2023 3:24 pm

there were first tests by CEGT. The GUI used was the Banksia GUI. This GUI has no timemargin setting. In 100 games (TC: 4 Minutes + 2 Seconds) against Ethereal 13.75 there were 16 time losses.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: News about Rebel or Chess System Tal ?   News about Rebel or Chess System Tal ? - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

News about Rebel or Chess System Tal ?
Page 6 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next